Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cold Weather Blues

Why is it that summer seems so short yet winter seems to last forever?

Fort McMurray got its first snow fall today, October 10, 2012…brrrrrrrr

Obviously we are getting back to the cold weather months, to waking in the dark and getting home from work in the dark.

How does one stay motivated during the winter months to be active and to not give into that oh so glorious comfort food and become lazy? How do you do it? How do you resist not going into hibernation mode?

I will admit that once it starts to get cold, it’s easy to be tempted into staying at home all cozy and warm. There are a few things that I do to prevent myself from getting into this slump:
* I usually take my gym gear with me in the morning and go directly to the gym before going home
* I have motivational quotes and vision boards in my office, on my fridge and around the house to get me moving and remind me why
* I think about how much better I will feel if I get out and work out
* I like to get involved in winter activities. My husband and I love to skate and ski
* I remember where I was and how hard I worked to get here and what it feels like to lift
* I have a trainer and Kevin that I work out with or report to
* I paid for my gym membership or classes, etc and I don’t like to waste money

I have a couple of printed fitness quote on my fridge;

"The junk food you've wanted for a few minutes vs the body you've wanted your entire lifetime"
“You don’t get it by staring, etc, you get it by getting off you’re a$$ and working for it, everyday for the rest of your life”

Those motivate me!

If none of the suggestions above are going to get you out of the house in the cold winter, then why not work out at home. There are so many exercises that require no equipment but still give you an excellent workout. Body weight exercises are really great; include things like push ups, tricep dips off a bench, planks, lunges, squats, crunches, leg raises, burpees, there are so many suggestions. All you need to do is get up and move, don’t let the cold weather brings you down or reverse all the efforts you’ve made during the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment