Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Personal Trainer and Motivator

I met Andrew Bambury in October of 2011 when I had overheard some friends talking about this great trainer who worked out of the World Gym in Fort McMurray. I asked some questions, looked him up online like a stalker…lol and decided that once and for all I was going to go for it and make my fitness dreams come true.

I was a bag of nerves walking into the gym, not because I was new to the fitness environment but I was mostly concerned about meeting this great trainer, what he would put me through and if I would be able to do it.

All of that went away as soon as he met me at the counter and we started talking. He was friendly, down to earth, not full of himself…lol and very passionate about his job. I felt comfortable right away and knew I had made the right decision.

That first session was fairly basic. Did I sweat? No session with Andrew would be complete otherwise, but he was testing my fitness level and I think judging how far he could push me.

For years I have wanted to look 'fit', to have muscle definition and be proud of my achievements and accomplishments when it came to fitness. Don't get me wrong; I push myself and I push myself hard but there is nothing like having someone else there, who knows what they are doing, cheering you on, motivating you and helping you set and achieve new fitness goals.

Like for instance, would I have ever worn a weighted vest and run stairs without Andrew? um..not likely, would I have ever deadlifted 195lbs, squat 225lbs or even thought that I could do pull-ups without Andrew? Never
My accomplishments have been huge in the last year and 3 months; accomplishments that I know without a doubt I would not have achieved without him. Sure I worked my ass off but in many ways he did it right along with me. The competition diet I was on, he was doing too. The workouts he planned and put me through, he had tested and done something just like it or harder. He has always been available to answer my questions, help me with my diet plan, give me guidance through workouts and cheer me on even when he isn’t training me; and trust me I have a lot of questions sometimes…lol

Andrew is a motivator, a coach, a listener and now a friend but don’t get me wrong, he doesn’t have the nickname ‘the Devil who wears Lulu’ for nothing. He is hardcore, he has pushed me way past my comfort level many, many times, he has made me feel like I want to puke during workouts but all of this has helped me achieve exactly what I set out to achieve in 2011 and maybe even some extra. Something I am incredibly grateful for!

My advice to anyone who wants to change their body and who is serious about fitness is to get a trainer. A qualified trainer, like Andrew; don’t be afraid to do the research to ensure they are exactly what you are looking for. A trainer can ensure you are working out safely to prevent injury, can show you the ropes; teach, guide, encourage, prevent routine boredom and push you so much so that you even surprise yourself with what your body is capable of.

There are times when Andrew is training me that I think ‘and I pay you to torture me like this’...lol but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

I have seen my body accomplish some amazing things and I can’t wait to see what we do with this bod in 2013.

Many thanks to Andrew Bambury, my personal trainer and motivator





2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, having a strict coach/personal trainer is what a person needs to not be sidetracked and remain focused on achieving their goals. I can attest that strict trainers help you exceed your goals and limitations so that you can attain the best result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend a trainer to everyone experienced or not. Great for anyone starting out to learn and grow and change but also great for an extra push for those more experienced.
    I wouldn't be where I am today without Andrew. He is awesome!

    ReplyDelete