Thursday, October 4, 2012

Switch up your Cardio

Today I switched up my cardio and tried using a machine that I rarely ever use-- the stepper. 

Actually Andrew suggested it because after the intense leg workout i had, he thought this would be a nice added challenge.

My normal go to cardio is the treadmill because I love to run. 

The stepper actually intimidated me, as foolish as that may sound, because I was never entirely sure if I was using it properly.

Today I certainly figured it out. I climbed 191 flights of stairs on that thing.

So what is the benefit of switching up your cardio?

Well there are a number of reasons:
-to prevent boredom
-to challenge your body with different moves and machines
-to work different areas or work the same areas differently

You can switch up your cardio in various ways as well, for example, generally I go for the treadmill but I don't do the same workout every time. I might alternate between inclines for a bit, between speeds, I might walk, I might run, I might alternate the two. I have even used the treadmill running without turning it on, I have walked with a plate overhead or a plate held in each of my hands. 

There are so many ways to spice it up, no matter which machine is your go to staple. 
Intervals, alternating levels or speeds on the elliptical, bike or stepper are also great. 

For me, nothing beats outdoor cardio, however now that it's getting colder, the days of running, walking, biking or rollerblading outside are limited.

You could always try a fitness class or instead of a machine use the indoor track or run stairs. Skipping is also a great, inexpensive way to get some cardio.

Either way or whatever you choose, just get out there and get that heart rate up.

Any other suggestions on how to spice up your cardio session? Anything you do that I haven't mentioned? Let me know, I'd love to get some new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment