Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Transformation Tuesday- Heather's Story


This week’s Transformation Tuesday comes from Heather, a fellow Sweat Pink and Strong Figure Ambassador.
 

 

Here is her story.

My name is Heather. I am a 41 year old mom in Georgia. I love to run and cook. I am addicted to bling, finish lines, mud, tutus, cute running skirts, and knee socks. I will never be known as a fast runner, but I am a fashionable and happy one!! I am excited and honored to be a Sweat Pink and Strong Figure Ambassador. I'm half crazy and Half Fanatic #3784. I hope to inspire and encourage others in their fitness journey.

I used to be extremely overweight and sedentary. My highest known weight was over 220, but then I stopped weighing myself. I also stopped allowing myself to be photographed. I was overweight and very unhappy with myself. I had several physical conditions, including carpal tunnel syndrome. I was being treated for the carpal tunnel syndrome and had to go to physical therapy. The first day of therapy, the doctor looked at me and said "How long have you been a big girl?" I completed that first day, left in tears, and joined Weight Watchers that very day. (I never went back to that therapist though). I lost 80 pounds through Weight Watchers then I hit a plateau. I kept gaining and losing the same 20 pounds. So I knew I needed a big change in my life to break through this.
 
 
On July 12, 2010, I joined a boot camp at the Cantrell Center. They made us run a mile at the beginning of every class. It was hot, humid, and very hard for me. I had always told people that I'd only run if something was chasing me, so this was completely out of my comfort zone. I could hardly run a quarter mile at first. But the coaches were awesome and encouraging. Soon I was able to run the whole mile. I was encouraged to sign up for a 5K. I signed up for the Labor Day Road Race. I was slow as a turtle trudging through peanut butter but I finished. And I was forever changed! Crossing that finish line awoke a completely new me.

Since then I have run numerous 5Ks and 10Ks, 14 half marathons, 2 marathons, and 9 mud runs/obstacle course races. I just conquered my first Spartan Sprint and I unleashed a beast!! I cannot wait to earn my Trifecta!!!

I am currently training for my first ultra-marathon. Yup, you read that right. On June 21, 2014 I will be rocking 50K at the Bad Marsh Night Ultra.

I keep in shape by running, working out at my favorite place The Compound, and by eating paleo.


Join Heather as she chronicles her adventures in running and in the kitchen at http://www.shortyruns.blogspot.ca

If you would like to be featured in a Transformation Tuesday post please contact me.

Until next time,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment