Friday, December 13, 2013

Metabolic Damage = Frustration

I recently had an appointment with my doctor because I wanted to see if he knew anything and was able to give me any direction as to metabolic damage and how to repair it. Short answer: he does not.


So here I am sitting in his office explaining my symptoms, which have obviously improved from where I was 6-8 months ago but are still not back to normal, and he basically tells me that he doesn’t know anything about metabolic damage and that I don’t really need him because I am healthier now than I have ever been. I am not overweight; I have lots of muscle, all my blood work came back normal so I should relax and be happy.

What am I supposed to do with that? I mean I certainly agree to an extent. I am healthier and fitter than I have ever been and no I am not overweight but I don’t always feel comfortable in my own skin, I am not able to shed any excess fat and I don’t know how to fix it. Isn’t that some cause for concern?
 
 
Needless to say visiting the doctor has gotten me no closer to getting to the bottom of this but on a brighter note I think I have finally hit a plateau in my weight gain because I haven’t notice any changes in the last little while. I am still a size 2.

My doctor wanted to weigh me yesterday and I must confess that I haven’t stepped foot on the scale since about a week or two post-competition last November. So I was very hesitant and in my head I was screaming “Noooooo!” and telling myself not to cry because no matter what it is just a number like I tell everybody else. So the moment of truth, I currently weigh 154lbs—ouch! I felt like I got slapped in the face but then I had a realization and I relaxed a little. I started this journey in 2011 at 156lbs and a size 6-8 however I am now 154lbs and a size 2. It just goes to show you that the scale CAN NOT tell the whole story. Obviously I carry a lot of extra muscle now compared to then.

Long story short, I have improved immensely from where I was and although I am still struggling; I am very hopeful.

One thing is for sure; I have learned to listen to my body more intently and I am still as determined as ever to beat this thing.
 
 
Have you ever experienced metabolic damage or anything similar? How did you deal with it?

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment